Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jacki’s Review of Macaroni and Cheese

I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago as I figured someone would select it soon.  I have never had much luck making homemade Mac n’ Cheese (the sauce part usually turns out thick and grainy like) but this turned out pretty good!  I don’t remember ever cooking the flour and butter combo as long as PW calls for (5 min.) so maybe that is why.  I had to throw out the first attempt at cooking the roux because I guess I had the flame to0 high and it tasted a little burnt.  The second time was a charm although five minutes seemed like a long time.  It was an easy recipe and tasted good although next time I will not add as much dry mustard as called for and I will try some different cheeses.  I used a medium sharp cheddar but I think a blend of some different ones would be good.  I didn’t take a picture but I served it with some grilled chicken/apple sausages and a green salad.

3 comments:

Leslee said...

Sounds like it will be a good one to try. I will try to remember your tips!

Surviving Stay @ Home Momma said...

I agree. I thought it was a little thick! I would def. do something diffrent with the sauce next time. I would also use a sharper cheese.

Al and Jenny said...

I was worried after I read your review and I did my butter and flour on a super low heat! Thanks for the tip! I agree...I think 5 minutes is maybe a little too long.