Monday, November 9, 2009

Dessert First!

I didn’t have all the supplies yet to make the main dish but I decided to try out the dessert tonight. Nilla Wafers are not gluten free so I perused my gluten free cookbooks and found a recipe for Vanilla Wafers to try out.  They turned out really good and taste like a mix of nilla wafers and a thin but soft sugar cookie.  When making the banana cream I cut the recipe in half since there are just two of us and it turned out to be the perfect amount.  I used a combination of vanilla and banana cream flavored yogurt.  Summer had already gone to bed, so I didn’t want to get out the blender, since it is pretty noisy in our little apartment so I just used the mixer.  This probably didn’t get things as smooth but it worked out nicely with some banana chunks in there.  Both Sean and I really liked it. I thought maybe it would be good with broken up angel food cake or something but Sean liked the crunch of the cookie in it.  It was a little rich for me with all the whip cream and I couldn't quite finish that cup full. It was a fun and tasty dessert to try out! You could definitely do this with different fruits too.

IMG_4080

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Yum - it looks very tasty. Good job on being resourceful and making your own GF vanilla wafers!

Nika said...

Very cute! I am excited to try it.