Thursday, September 15, 2011

Jacki’s Thai Chicken and Noodle Salad and Strawberry-Lime Shortcakes/Coconut Cream

I made these two recipes for dinner tonight and I agree with Leslee, the salad was absolutely delicious.   But, I must add it was very time consuming even though I used the julienned carrots and sliced red/yellow peppers from the salad bar at the grocery store and a rotisserie chicken from Costco for the meat.  I also omitted the red cabbage even though I bought it but after cooking the pasta, making the salad dressing and prepping the other veggies I was just plain tired (and hungry) so I just omitted it to save time.  I used just romaine lettuce.  Next time I will cook the pasta, make the salad dressing, and prep some of the veggies ahead of time.  The salad was well worth all the work though so I hope all of you get a chance to make it. 

For the Strawberry-Lime Shortcakes I made the Sour Cream Pound Cake on pg 42 of the book.   It was good but watch the cooking time – it says 50 to 60 minutes and I checked mine after 45 and it was already a little over done but nothing the juices from the strawberries couldn’t moisten:).  I liked the tang of the lime mixed with the strawberries and the coconut was a nice change with the whipped cream.  It was fun to try something just a little bit different.  These recipes made for a really good meal.

Jacki's Pics 010

Jacki's Pics 013

3 comments:

Leslee said...

Lovely looking dishes. The salad was a bit of work but I guess I lot could be done a head of time. Makes me want to make it again.

Al and Jenny said...

Oh, everything looks so pretty! I am making the salad Sunday. I am excited to make it, especially since reading all of the positive reviews.

Audrey said...

Wow, everything looked very good. I've made the salad & we really liked it also. I agree that it takes some work, but very healthy with all those veggies. We are eating the shortcake tonight, so I will post my review then. Glad to know that it is good also :)