Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Jenny's Thai Peanut Noodle Salad and Pork, Rice, and Dressing




Sunday I made the Thai Salad. I made the dressing the day before just to cut back on things I would have to do after I got home from church on Sunday. I made the dressing as it says, but without cilantro...they were sold out at the grocery store...weird. The salad I made as the recipe calls for as well, but without chicken. It's a long story, but the chicken just didn't get made. I thought the salad was really pretty with all of the different colors of vegetables. My husband loved the salad. He added a lot of extra peanuts to his. I guess he liked them. And said it could have used the chicken. I was perfectly fine without the chicken, but I guess that's where we differ :) I liked the salad. Next time I would probably chop the nuts before adding them to the salad and also use less of the dressing. I poured the entire recipe of dressing on the salad without even thinking and it was a little too much for me, but my husband thought it was great, so maybe it was just me.

The pork, cilantro pineapple rice and green dressing I made a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Kim, I think it was my favorite of the cafe rio type pork recipes. It was so yummy! Al did the grocery shopping for me because I wasn't feeling that great and bought the pork roast with bone in. But it ended up being just fine. The meat fell right off the bone. I don't know why, but I was a little skeptical of the pineapple in the rice. Then I tasted it and thought it was great! I loved the flavor it added. My husband loved the rice too. I thought the dressing was good, but a little sour. Next time I would probably leave the green salsa out, or use my other recipe I have. Oh, I also made the PW Pico de Gallo and guacamole to go with this dinner. I never made them back when we were doing her cookbook. They were both yummy and a great addition to the dinner. Has anybody else been watching her show on food network?

I've really been enjoying this cookbook! I think overall the recipes have been really good. I'm excited for the roast beef sandwiches, and then I will also make the beef taquitos with some of the leftovers :)

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Glad that you liked all the recipes. I think that I would be fine also without the chicken in that salad:) I am watching the Pioneer women cooks also. Being in Oklahoma, its fun to watch the show and support her. Good idea to make the Pico de Gallo and Guacamole with this meal. We also liked those dishes.

Jacki's travels said...

I have only been able to watch one of the PW shows but I really enjoyed it - too many activies on Saturday mornings and I don't have DVR:( Jenny, all of your food looks really tasty - thanks for the review.