Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Kim's review

Last night we made the beef taquitos. I made them exactly how they said in the recipe. I thought the chile in adobo sauce was a big waste of time. I bought the smallest can I could find and still wasted 99.9% of it. I wore gloves to get the pepper out, cut it in half, scrapped the seeds out and then minced 1/4 of a tsp. It just felt like a lot of work for such a small amount of pepper. Having said that, I could taste the smokey flavor while I was eating them. I think next time I will just use the seasoning they recommend in the cookbook. I thought they tasted good but needed something else, they were a little dry to me. So we mixed up some sour cream and salsa to dip them in and they were delicious. The mango salsa was really good and flavorful. When I bought all my ingredients at the store they were out of avocado, so I was missing that but it was still so yummy.


I made these cookies the other day and they were delicious. I thought they were THE BEST right out of the oven, when they were gooey and soft...YUM!!! This recipe made A LOT!


I also made the Cafe Rio pork, rice and cilantro dressing last week. I thought the pork was delicious! It was my favorite sweet pork recipe I've tried. The rice was really good as well. I wasn't a huge fan of the cilantro dressing though. It was a little tart for me. I don't know if that is the best was to describe the flavor, but something was off. I have another recipe that I like a little better, so I will probably stick to that one.

3 comments:

Leslee said...

Everything looks really good. You are probably right about the adobo chiles...they should make them in smaller containers! I also agree about the cilantro dressing. I think it tastes that way from the green salsa. Sometimes that tastes a little sweet and tart. Who knows!

Al and Jenny said...

I think it was the green salsa too.

The cookies at book club were so yummy!

Jacki's travels said...

The chipotle pepper in adobo sauce leftovers freeze well but using the chipotle chili powder is just easier all around. Thanks for your review and feedback.