Sunday, September 4, 2011

New Recipes for the Week of 9/4

Hello! I am excited to pick the recipes this week. I have been using recipes from the OUR BEST BITES blog for about a year now and have enjoyed this cookbook so far. I have been cooking along despite my lack of posting. I will work on catching up in my posts.

This week I chose the Black Bean and Mango Salsa, page 13, the Chipotle Beef Taquitos, page 122,  and the Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Chip Cookies, page 211. We actually made this for our big Sunday meal this afternoon so I will put up my review now.

 

IMG_1490

This meal was quite tasty and enjoyed by all.  I used some roast type meat that I had already cooked in the slow cooker and frozen for tacos.  I added the spices to it but could not find the can of chipotles that I was sure I had in the pantry so I just went without.  This was probably less spicy for the kids anyway.  The corn tortillas were frozen so I was worried they would crack but I just wrapped them in a bunch of damp paper towels and microwaved them for a few minutes.  That did the trick nicely.  Also, I looked for some tasty Mexican cheese at Trader Joe’s when we were there last night but surprisingly they didn’t have any so I ended up using a little bit of mozzarella which was good.  The black bean and mango salsa was really good.  I thought the onion would be too strong but it was fine.  I fixed that first and let it chill while I made the rest of the food.   I had made the salad dressing last week but didn’t post about it  so it was in the fridge getting tastier and tastier.   This is actually one of my favorite salad dressings and I have been making a similar recipe for a few years.  I use the Kraft olive oil mayonnaise which has much less fat and calories than regular mayo but still a great taste and the same texture instead of being thinner like light mayo.   I add a bit extra cilantro and  use a few teaspoons of green Tabasco sauce to taste instead of the green salsa and hot sauce.    The green Tabasco has a softer taste than the red and can be found right by the other hot sauces.   I usually add 2 or 3 tomatillos to this recipe.  Those are the green tomato looking things with a a papery type leaf still attached and are usually found by the peppers in the produce section.  They have a unique and delicious flavor.   Anyway, we dipped our taquitos in the salsa and ranch and it was really good.

I made these cookies at my mom’s suggestion a few weeks ago, I am pretty sure they haven’t been chosen yet though.   They are really good.  Just the right blend of flavors   I sent a lot of them to work with my husband and they got good reviews from the co-workers.  Luckily I didn’t keep too many home since I wanted to eat them all! 

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Hmm, I made a comment about this yesterday but for some reason it didn't post. Your meal looks very pretty and tasty! Thanks for the review and tips.

Leslee said...

That looks really good! I am excited to try them out, I will get the supplies so I can make them very soon!

Audrey said...

Good recipe picks for the week. Looking forward to trying them. Good suggestion about using the dressing to dip the taquitos in.