Monday, August 15, 2011

Jenny's Lemon-Zucchini Fettucini, Garlic Balsamic Asaparagus, and Chocolate Mousse





I made the pasta last night, along with the asparagus. They were both really good! And I will for sure make them again. They both tasted so fresh and summery. And were pretty too!

After reading Jacki's and Leslee's reviews on the pasta I read the recipe to find out what I could do in advance to make things less hectic. So before church I zested the lemon and also trimmed, pounded and marinated the chicken. Besides that there wasn't much I could do. I made the recipe as directed, but used half the lemon zest called for after reading the reviews. I also just used garlic powder instead of garlic cloves. At first I tried cooking it in the oil like the recipe called for, but it burned pretty quickly, even on a low heat. So I started over and didn't cook the garlic powder, just mixed it in the oil and set it aside. Al helped out and grilled the chicken and zucchini while I focused on everything else.

The asparagus was easy and I thought it had a great flavor. A lot of times I focus on the main dish and don't really do anything special with the vegetable, so it was nice to have this recipe and jazz up the asparagus.

Everything came together very nicely in the end. I didn't use any pasta water or extra oil and I thought it was just right. I loved the fresh oregano and fresh basil in the pasta. And next time I want to try it with the garlic cloves as well.

I made the mousse last week but forgot to post pictures or a review. It was a big hit all around. When I was dishing it up I thought it didn't look like very much, but it ended up being the perfect serving! It was very chocolatey and rich and I don't think you could eat a bigger serving without getting a tummy ache :) Anyway, it was a nice, light and fluffy dessert to finish a meal with. And very easy to make!

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for the review - glad everything turned out so well. James looks like he is all business with the mousse eating - cute:)

Sarah said...

I love the picture of James! He looks like he has grown a ton in the last few months.

Leslee said...

The pasta looks nice! Glad you got to make the mousse too!