Friday, September 24, 2010

Heidi's Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy

I fixed the Chicken Fried Steak last night for dinner.  I actually fix this about once a month because it is Kenton's favorite meal.  I got my recipe from Kenton's mom which has no measurements on the gravy... it's just add a little flour and then keep adding a little milk.  I MUCH prefer to know how much I am adding in a measured form.  I followed the recipe as it was called.  I usually don't put any seasoning in my flour so I really liked that change.  I also fixed PW's mashed potatoes.  These were too rich for us especially with the gravy on top so I probably won't fix those anymore. 
My plate... I prefer to dip my chicken fried steak in ketchup.  I am not sure why as I'm not a huge ketchup person.  Probably becasue that is how Kenton does his.

Kenton's plate.   For some STRANGE reason he likes to tear up bread and pour gravy over the bread.

Ashley enjoying her dinner.  Actually, both kids really like chicken fried steak.  Probably because they get to dip it in ketchup.

4 comments:

Leslee said...

Your meal looks nice. The mashed potatoes are a bit much and I am sure the gravy throws them over the top:) It sounds like your family is enjoying this new cookbook!

Audrey said...

I'm glad that the kids liked it ! That's always a plus. The gravy over the bread must be an Oklahoma thing, as that is how Doug has me do it. I never do any potatoes etc... Because he just wants to tear up his bread and put gravy over it. Easier for me :)

Jacki's travels said...

I am not a big catsup person either but I think it would be good with this dish. Little Miss Ashley sounds like a joy to cook for - such a good little eater!

didi said...

Love the pictures and Ashley's cute smile. Can't wait to make this on sunday it has been so busy with soccer every night plus my classes and Leon being on call so I have not had a chance to cook anything for about 3 weeks. We just keep it simple. In Brazil we make a similar dish called beef empanado and we make a very flavorfulls tomato sauce to pour over the top instead of gravy it is so delicius. I may make some sauce on the side and try on this dish.