Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two dishes

Ok…. Trying to catch up with you guys…
We had the enchiladas today and I changed a couple things….. I used bison since I don’t buy ground beef, also don’t use cheddar so I used my Mexican blend of chesses (mixture of Asadero, Panela, Requeson, Cotija and if I can get my hands on it Chihuahua cheese) I always use this mixture on my Mexican dishes, I learned this from a Mexican chef when we lived in Iowa. Using the right cheese can make a huge difference. I decided not to add the oil/flour mixture and just stick with a simple enchilada sauce recipe that I haven’t used in many years (mix in blender can enchilada sauce, can stewed tomatoes Mexican recipe and can of stewed tomatoes with peppers and spices, add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and coriander to taste). As far as the meat goes, I sautéed onion and garlic first before adding the ground bison to the pot and after the meat was cooled I added the olives, cilantro, green onions and can of green chilies. It was a lot easier to assemble the tortillas . I also learned from my friend to just roll the enchiladas quickly as they are being fried and dipped in the enchilada sauce, your fingers get a bit messy but the tortillas don’t fall apart.
We served the enchiladas with sliced jalapenos, sour cream, and a nice salad with fresh sliced avocados and a cilantro lime dressing.
Everyone enjoyed the dish but declared that it was not as good as the recipe I usually make, They much prefer chicken so I may try to make this again using chicken instead and see what they think.

























Now the chicken spaghetti was not so popular, everyone agreed that the dish would have tasted so much better without all the cream of mushroom and cheese. I am not a big fan of cream of mushroom/casserole dishes and to me this was too much like a casserole. I only use it on the canned green bean dish that my boys like to call “Relief Society beans”. Even then I don’t prepare it!!!! Leon (My Husband) does.
I didn’t have time to go to the store so I just used the chicken tenderloins I had in the freezer, I sautéed them in olive oil, onion and garlic and proceeded with the rest of the recipe and I had some homemade chicken broth in my freezer. I double the recipe and took a dish to a family in our ward, I used whole grain pasta since they really like that so I am curios to find out how they liked the dish. I’m sorry but I am sure I will not be making this dish again.

























2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

We like honesty! - that is what the blog is all about. I really liked your idea about adding everything to the meat mixture to make filling easier - why didn't I think of that?! Thanks for the other suggestions as well. I will remember the cheese tip. Keep cooking and sharing:)

Connie Burrows said...

The spaghetti chicken is the only dish I have made as yet. We enjoyed it. I did mix grated swiss and cheddar cheese, which we both enjoyed. It gave it a nice flavor. Will try and get "with it" when we get back from our trip.