Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jacki’s Review of Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy

Tonight we had the Chicken-Fried Steak and Gravy meal at our house and it was good.  My husband is a Chicken Fried Steak fan and always orders it when we eat out (rare) if it is offered on the menu.  He thought this version was pretty good but could have been just a bit more flavorful (which was probably my fault – I am not exactly heavy with the salt shaker).  I appreciated PW’s step by step pics on this one – very easy to follow.  In retrospect I probably should have seasoned the meat just a bit more before I started the egg/flour process and I would have used some of the seasoned flour made for dredging for the gravy.  I liked the cayenne pepper bite the flour mixture had.    Also, my gravy ended up just a tad on the thick side so another splash of milk would have been appropriate.  All in all though I think this is a good, solid recipe for those who like this type of food.  I am not a huge breaded/fried food fan so I wouldn’t make this too often – just occasionally to please the man of the house  after too many grilled salmon/brown rice/ broccoli type meals :)  I served it with a side of mashed potatoes and corn because I was informed this is how they serve it at restaurants.  Steamed broccoli or green beans would have been more colorful and pleasing to the eye though.  I sure hope some of you out there get a chance to try out this recipe and let the rest of us know how you liked it!

The process underway:

Jacki's Pics 428

Just look at that golden perfection!

Jacki's Pics 429

Artery-clogging goodness that would send the CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) screaming! (I did use canola oil and 1% milk though:)  And, this was my husbands plate, not mine.

Jacki's Pics 430

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Your meal looked real good! I'm with you though on healthier sides to go with it. Doug grew up having bread with his country gravy, so that's how I did it. You tear the bread up & then ladle the gravy over it. It actually tastes good :)

didi said...

Oh my this looks so good!!! I finatelly got the book today, it's been crazy here with soccer and my new schedulle at the gym..... Anyway Leon opened the book and guess what he wants me to make?????Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy!!!! So that's what we will have for our Sunday meal... Leon is working nights so I don't cook, but he really wnats this.... Thanks for the suggestions I have a feeling that I will have to make it nice and fattening......

Heidi said...

I made the chicken fry last night too. I'll put the pictures up here soon. Of course, it was a huge success at my house :)
Audrey, Kenton does the same thing with the bread and gravy. A little strange if you ask me. :)

Leslee said...

Sounds like the bread with gravy is a OK thing:) Glad you kept the man of the house happy with this meal!