Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kim's chicken fried steak review

I don't know why this seemed so easy for everyone else. I've never made it before and I'm not lying when I say it was a doozie! I really like the gravy and the potatoes were better for me this time because I didn't add near as much butter or cream cheese, so they weren't so rich, but the chicken fried steak.... AAAHHH!!! I think one of my problems was that my meat was too thick and it took them forever to cook, so by the time the inside wasn't bloody anymore, the outside was burnt to a crisp, and really hard to eat. What do you guys do if the meat you buy is too thick? My pickens were slim, I couldn't find anything thinner. I might be scared away from this recipe for a little bit!

Also, if you are wondering, yes we did have other food with these two items. A yummy salad and delicious watermelon.

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

I thought a couple of my cube steaks were a little thick as well. I should have pounded them out a bit more with my meat pounder/hammer thing to thin them out for quicker cooking.

Leslee said...

I felt like mine were a little thick and I had to keep turning them over to get them to cook through. Probably would be a good idea to flatten them out a bit if you made this again.

Audrey said...

I agree with Jacki & Leslee about pounding them out. I'm sure that would have made a big difference. Also cooking them at a bit lower temperature might help also and turning more frequently. I did that & it worked out real well. Your gravy looked like it turned out well.