Monday, September 27, 2010

Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce

Let me start out by saying that this is not a "Crisp", I might have mentioned a few times before that her names for desserts are not accurate (i.e. the blackberry cobbler was more of a buckle, and her "flat apple pie" is actually called a galette. It might just be the baking snob in me, but this bugs me. That being said...

This was a delicious Peach Crumble.

I started out with the Maple Cream Sauce since that had to sit in the refridgerator for so long. Being on the tempermental stove that we had it took a little longer to get to a steady boil than I would have liked so it took more like 30 minutes to get to the thicker consistancy that I was looking for.

 The only thing that I think I'll change next time is to add more maple syrup. It was a really faint flavor and I wanted it too be a bit more obvious.

Moving on to the crumble portion...it was a really great combination for the topping and really easy to mix up. The only thing I would recommend is to just go ahead and use your fingers to make it a really beautiful consistancy.



I used peaches out of a jar that I drained and it took 2 jars for this size of pie pan. Also I didn't have any lemon so I used orange instead.

For a really awesome crumble, you really want a nice thick layer (at least 1/4 inch thick) that covers the entire top of the fruit.

And here it is right out of the oven! Nicely browned on top :)

Here it is scooped up!

And finally already to eat with ice cream and the cream sauce on top.

And I promise that this treat will not last long! The pie serving size was enough for 6-7 people. And I didn't change any of the recipe to make it fit in that size.

This was a great recipe and definitely a keeper. Perfect for a great fall meal! The only other thing that I might do next time is to make a crust on the bottom--I've done this for other crumbles (this also works really well with cherries and blackberries, but with those I normally just use the pie filling cans) I've made and you just use the same crumb recipe for the crust as for the top. Extra yummy!

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Your crisp/crumble looks delicious! Thanks for the review and suggestions. I just returned home from the grocery store so I think I will get started on the sauce.

Audrey said...

Your pictures look so good. I haven't made the recipe yet, but I will try & remember your suggestions :)