Saturday, October 10, 2009

Connie and Heidi's review of the stew and crumble

We fixed the stew and crumble on Thursday evening. It was cold and rainy here in Edmond so it was perfect for dinner. We made a few adjustments to the recipe based on the previous reviews. I only put 1/2 of an white onion in since my family isn't big onion eaters. We also added a carrot. Also based on the previous reviews we only put 2 cups of the chicken broth. After we had added the coconut milk we noticed that it was still pretty runny so the cook who was been cooking longer than any of us recommended adding a cornstarch and water mixture to thicken up the sauce. It worked really well and the end result was more of a stew consistency. I also didn't add any cilantro because I forgot to put it on my list. Everyone seemed to enjoy the dish although we thought that it had more of a ginger flavor and not so much of a curry flavor. Grandma/Mom/Connie said that if she fixed this again that she might flour and salt and pepper the chicken before cooking to add more flavor to the chicken and help the sauce be thicker.
Everyone seemed to enjoy this dinner and Connor even ate most of his without holding his nose! Ashley, of course, ate all of hers and some of mine too.




After we cleaned up the dishes from the stew we made the crumble. Grandma/Connie/Mom had brought fresh peaches from Utah so we used those. It probably could have cooked about 5 more minutes to get the peaches a little warmer; but it was still very tasty with some vanilla ice cream.



2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Excellent review and everything looked delicious. Thanks for reporting back on the adjustments. I will note those in my cookbook for the next time I make it. Looks like Ashley was really enjoying her meal!

Leslee said...

I like your changes. I think adding the cornstarch was a good idea! I am glad that Grandma got to join in this time around!