Sunday, October 4, 2009

Heidi's Try

Better late than never!
It was the perfect day here in OK for soup and salad. Our testers were Kenton, Heidi, Connor and Ashley. In the soup I didn't use any onion and I used bacon instead of the sausage since Connor and Ashley were also testers. I also only used a 1/2 of bunch of collard greens since this was our family's first experience with them. Kenton liked the soup; but not so much on the salad. He's not a big fan of the vinegar taste. I really like both the soup and the salad and I really thought that the salad dressing was quite good. Ashley wasn't a big fan of the salad but gobbled up the soup (and 2 pieces of bread). Connor didn't like any of it (not surprised at all) and he ate the soup while holding his nose. A tactic used to eat green beans and spaghetti or anything that he doesn't like.
Thanks Jacki for picking something that I would have never tried to fix. I really enjoyed trying something new and it felt very gourmet to make my own salad dressing! :)
The finished product....

3 comments:

Grandma NaDee said...

NaDee
I made the soup and salad and took a nice picture of them, but can't get it off my camera. I'll keep trying though.

I made the soup between conference sessions and we ate it afterwards. I used the Chirizo Sausage (because my local Safeway store had it) which (like Kelly's) completely disintegrated so it was part of the sauce no visable sausage pieces there. I was not impressed with the collard greens, when I make it again, I would definitely use a different kind of sausage and maybe spinach leaves instead of collard. I liked the taste of the soup. Unlike some of your soups, mine was very red in color. I have to admit that I'm not a great bean lover either, although I do like the white bean chili that I got the recipe from Jacki. The salad was yummy and I really liked the dressing. It seems like it would be good with craisins and candied almond slices. I'll try that another time. Thanks for nudging us to try something very different from what we usually eat. I'm looking forward to the Mulliganitawny Stew this week. I know I love anything that is curry flavored.

Jacki's travels said...

Thanks for reviews from both Heidi and NaDee. That is really funny about Connor eating the soup holding his nose. You should have posted a pic of that! NaDee, I bet the spinach would be good in the soup too. I am looking forward to trying this weeks recipes and am making my shopping list as soon as I finish this comment!

Leslee said...

I am glad that you got to try it, it looks good! I am glad you were able to accomadate it to your family. I also only used have the collard greens because I though it would be way too much with all of them. Grandma, I am sorry about the sausage situation. I wonder why that was such a strange sausage she recommended!!