Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Jacki’s Review of the Stew and Crumble

I really enjoyed both of these recipes and they were perfect for a Fall day such as today here in Virginia.  I made a few adjustments in the recipe, thanks to the pioneers who ventured before me and made suggestions:)  I only used one can of chicken broth and then the one can of coconut milk it asked for.  I also doubled the amount of carrots and celery so it was nice and chunky.  I ended up using a little more oil to cook the veggies since there were more of them and I increased the curry by about 1 tsp for the same reason.  I think I could have added a little more curry.  I used regular white rice since I have a rice cooker and it doesn’t get much easier than that.  I think it would also be good with brown rice.  I just really liked the flavor of this dish.  The coconut milk added a smooth element to it if that makes any sense.  I used the real ginger and grated it.  I will definitely make this dish again.  Rich ate it too but he is not an adventurous eater at all and didn’t give it rave reviews although he did eat two big bowls of it.  He probably will not like most of the recipes we try in the book so I will take what he says with a grain of salt  (pun intended:)

Look at these gorgeous colors!  I felt like a real live chef in the kitchen with all the slicing and dicing!

Jacki's Pics 064 

Jacki's Pics 067

Mmmmm, so chunky and flavorful!

Jacki's Pics 071

I thought the Quick Fix Fruit Crumble was a tasty recipe too.  I used thawed frozen peach slices from the freezer section of the store and walnuts instead of pecans.  I ended up cooking the crumble for longer than it asked for since I wasn’t 100% sure the peaches were thawed all the way.  I think I would like it made with apples even more and plan to try that soon.  I served it with vanilla ice cream and you can bet I ate every drop!  Rich said he would have liked it with apples but he ate every drop of his too. 

Jacki's Pics 070

Jacki's Pics 074

For those of you who haven’t made the recipes yet you are in for a treat, I think.

2 comments:

Sitton said...

Yours looks a bit thicker so that is good. Very delicious! I guess you just can't please that man, even if he did gobble it all down. I am sure he would have liked it with apples too though...like an apple pie but easier and healthier. Good choice to serve it with vanilla icecream.

Nika said...

I was going to make mine tonight but I was not feeling like I wanted to go down that road with me and the two babies home alone, plus I had already made chicken noodle soup earlier in the day and there was a bit of a pile up of dirty dishes waiting for a spot in the dishwasher. Then I remembered I polished off the last of the vanilla ice cream with some berries last night while watching the biggest loser so obviously it just wasn't an option. Maybe tomorrow. Looks good though!