Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jacki’s review of pgs 136 and 245

We (yes, Rich too!) thought these two dishes were delicious!  The “fruitiness” of the chutney complimented the pork perfectly.  And, what a wonderful way to fix Brussels Sprouts.  For the pork and chutney I used all the ingredients asked for except I substituted green onions for shallots.  I used frozen rhubarb because Whole Foods didn’t have any fresh and they usually have whatever produce you could want.  It must be out of season everywhere or something.  But the frozen worked great and it was easier too – already cut up.  If you are not a cumin lover I would suggest using less than the recipe listed – maybe only 1 tsp.  I needed to cook the tenderloin a little longer than she stated in the recipe.  I think I have only cooked pork tenderloin once before but it was very tender and flavorful.  I will definitely use it again.  It was even on sale!  For the Brussels Sprouts and Sun-dried tomatoes I did everything the recipe called for except I cooked it too long and the tomatoes got burned (bummer since they are rather expensive).  The sprouts were ok because I could just peel off the leaves if they were a little charred and some of the tomatoes were fine.  But, the flavor was delicious and next time I will just watch the dish a little more closely toward the end of the cooking time. These two recipes were pretty quick and easy to prepare.   I served the two with some steamed rice and it made the perfect meal.  Hope everyone else enjoys these two dishes also.

I forgot to take pics of the prep so here is an oven shot.

Jacki's Pics 096

Jacki's Pics 103

Jacki's Pics 104

3 comments:

Leslee said...

Looks delicious! Chelsea and I are suppose to be making it on Sunday and I am excited to give it a try.

didi said...

Wow!!!! Love the side dish idea....It sure looks beautiful on the plate.

Nika said...

That looks great. I am making ours tomorrow night I think. just have to find some ruhbarb.