Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Jacki’s Review of Turkey, Potatoes, Salad

I made the Roasted Turkey Tenderloin with New Potatoes and Tarragon Broth last night for dinner.  I morphed the recipe as Robin suggested and cooked twice the turkey and made the Turkey-Spinach Salad with Strawberries, Kiwi and Cashews in Honey-Sesame Dressing tonight for dinner.  First I will tell you about the Turkey and Potatoes meal.  I really thought this was a very tasty dish.  The sauce gave both the turkey and potatoes a really nice flavor.  I just substituted more chicken broth for the wine since I know nothing about buying or cooking with wine.  I also forgot to buy tarragon when I was at the store so I just substituted about 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil in place of it – worked great.  I steamed some fresh green beans to go with the turkey and potatoes which made a very satisfying meal.  The turkey tenderloin was very tender and moist and the red potatoes had that satisfying firmness at first bite and then the creamy interior. Rich proclaimed it “ok” – which is probably synonymous for “fine”:)  Sorry my pics are so blurry.

Ingredients assembled

Jacki's Pics 299

Ready to go in the oven

Jacki's Pics 300

Plated

Jacki's Pics 301

The salad looked beautiful with the fruits and greens and nuts.  The dressing had a really good flavor although I would have liked it to be a little thicker so it could cling to the greens better.  Nika suggested adding a little pectin to make it thicker which I might try next time.  When I made the dressing I didn’t have any honey mustard so I googled it and a couple of the sites I found said to mix 1 part mustard, 1 part honey and 2 parts mayo so that is what I did.  It made the dressing opaque instead of clear but that was fine.  I also just used regular sesame oil instead of toasted because that is what I had.  I guess the toasted sesame oil is made from toasted sesame seeds and has a stronger flavor.  Rich would have revolted if I just served salad for dinner so I made him some grilled cheese sandwiches and soup (thank you, Progresso!) to go along with it.  As usual, I really enjoyed both of these recipes.  Again, I apologize for the blurry photos.

Ingredients gathered – oops, forgot the greens.

Jacki's Pics 303

The dressing is mixed in the measuring glass next to the salad.  I wanted to show how it looked using the honey mustard I made.

Jacki's Pics 305

Jacki's Pics 306

This is the soup and sandwich I added to Rich’s meal.

Jacki's Pics 307

4 comments:

didi said...

Wow, that looks very good I like that you were able to make your own honey mustard. did you have a lot of broth left???

Leslee said...

Those look very delicious! Your pan of turkey and potatoes looks more juicy then mine, which maybe why mine wasn't quite as flavorful. Good job using your resources on the honey mustard.

Jacki's travels said...

Yes, I had plenty of broth to spoon over the potatoes and turkey. I could have thickened it to make more of a gravy too. Nika has not posted yet but I think she said her broth thickened up a bit but mine didn't really.

Heidi said...

Looks very good. I am trying this tonight and since we are a meat and potatoes family this should fit the bill! Although i am sure that this will get a "fine" from Kenton :) I know what you mean about serving just salad for dinner. we aren't big salad eaters so there is no way I could get away with that and on top of it to add fruit to a salad is just wrong in Kenton's eyes.