Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nika

I made the Turkey on Monday night and it was so delicious.  First of all, my store had only one kind of turkey tenderloin which was in an Italian marinade.  It was on sale for half price so it wasn’t too expensive.  I bought a larger one thinking I would use the leftovers for the salad.   When it came to making the meal it was very easy to put together.  I just followed the recipe exactly except I used extra broth in place of the wine.  I wasn’t sure how to choose the right wine.   Anyway, I was wondering if it was going to be way too much liquid but I faithfully put it in the oven.  I cooked the turkey for about an hour and 10 minutes.  It would have probably been done sooner but I went to get a meat thermometer from my neighbor and by the time we got back that is how long it had been in for.  The extra broth reduced down nicely in the oven.  I had been thinking I would make a gravy out of it but it was a good consistency so I just left it.  Sterling and I were looking through the recipe book recently and realized we had never tried parsnips so we made the sautéed carrot and parsnip side dish from the book too.   This meal was a HUGE hit.   Max and Belle loved it and so did Sterling and I.  The turkey was moist and tender and we spooned the extra broth over the top.  I really liked the way the shallots cooked up over the potatoes as well.  Parsnips taste pretty much like carrots in case you were wondering.    I think the key to the meal being so tasty was that the turkey had been marinated in the extra herbs so that added extra flavor.   I haven’t made the salad yet because all the turkey got eaten between the night we served it and Sterling’s lunch the next day.  Also, we had some cranberries with it. 

Here it is before it went into the oven

 IMG_7933 IMG_7934  

 

It was oh so tasty but I had to strictly limit the amount I ate since we were doing our P90X workout later than night and I didn’t want to be too full.

IMG_7936

3 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Oh my, what a nice table setting and delicious looking plate too. Great review and thanks for the tips. Cranberries would have been a nice touch.

Leslee said...

That loooks very nice and festive. I wish I would have gotten the pre-marinaded turkey, it seemed to really cook up nicely!

Heidi said...

Looks very good! We are having it tonight. I am glad to know that it cooked easily!