Sunday, October 25, 2009

Nika’s Fish’n Chips and Salad

I finally got around to trying the recipe.  We had been out of town and I needed to go to the store to get the ingredients, but that didn’t happen until yesterday.  I will start with the salad.  It was pretty good, not the best thing I have ever tasted.  I used an Amish blue cheese from the grocery store here and it was nice and mild so that even Sterling found it to be acceptable.  He like the roasted tomatoes better than regular tomatoes.  Anyway, that was easy enough, although the tomatoes do take awhile to cook. 

 

IMG_7911

Since people had talked about the fish not being crispy I decided to fry part of it.  I never have great luck with frying things and this time was no exception.  It all fell apart in the pan.  The oven baked stuff cooked up fine but wasn’t crispy.  I am not even sure why you put the batter on if its not going to crisp up.  Anyway,  it all tasted great.  Everyone had some and Sterling even wanted (agreed) to take some salad and fish for lunch tomorrow.  IMG_7918

 

The oven baked fries were good too, nothing spectacular.  IMG_7919

 

This recipe sounded good on paper but I feel like it failed to deliver its promise of a crispy fish.  I can’t even begin to see how the fish would get crispy with that batter on it in the  oven.   As they say down here in the grand old South “there’s somethin’ not quite right about that.”

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Your meal looks very nice. I agree that the method of cooking didn't make it crispy. Maybe the batter is just to thick, because it tasted like more of a breading.

Jacki's travels said...

Maybe we should e-mail Robin and ask her about this recipe :) Your meal does look very tasty though. It has been interesting to get everyones feedback. I wonder if different fish give a different result? I used cod. Thanks for the review.