Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Leslee’s Mulligatawny Stew

I was pretty excited to make this dish because we like curry things, which is why I chose it.  I had gotten some veggies for an excellent price last week so this weekend I decided to cut them up to make the meal prep a little faster.  If you ever watch Robin Miller’s shows she is all about this, so I thought she would be proud. 

IMG_3824

I prepared the recipe as it was written except  I added more celery and carrots then it called for.   I also forgot to get the fresh ginger so I had to use powder.  I am sure the fresh ginger would have been much better. I will have to get some to keep in the freezer as Nika suggested.  My coconut milk was actually pretty runny, I thought it would be thicker.  In the end I felt like it was a little too runny and maybe next time I wouldn’t add quite so much broth.  I also did not follow her cook times exactly and just cooked each part until I felt it was done. 

IMG_3825 

I usually do not use instant rice but as it turned out our big bag of rice was gone so I mixed some instant brown rice with some leftover white rice from the fridge.  Sean and I both really enjoyed this dish, but wished it was just a little thicker.

IMG_3830

We ate it on plates but Sean thought he might have enjoyed it even more if he had it in a bowl so he could enjoy the extra broth (his words).  We have quite a bit of leftovers and I already enjoyed some more for an early lunch!

Last night we went to Cold Stone for Sean’s free birthday ice cream so we will be trying to fruit crumble tonight!

2 comments:

Jacki's travels said...

Excellent review and the dish looks very tasty. I am glad you and Nika have tried and reported on the recipe so the rest of us can adjust as needed. I think I will add more veggies too and maybe a little less broth. I am looking forward to trying the recipes out.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the tips on the broth and veggies. I will try and adjust. Also, good job on the meal prep! That will probably never happen at my house :)